9.11.2013

Loving this look - Dark Eyes for Fall




Just between yesterday and today I finally feel like Fall is somewhere in sight here in LA. I love makeup in the colder months. I feel like with all the layers we wear and more buttoned up we are, we can get away with bolder makeup looks. Summer is really all about quick and easy with pops of color. Fall, on the other hand, is about the bold and sultry makeup. I personally love doing a messy dark smokey eye. I think to keep it modern and edgy, the less perfect you do it, the better. And not using false lashes, winged liner or going overboard on the face keeps it focused and not fussy. I started out here with Burberry's Midnight Brown all over the eyelid blended up into the crease of the eye and they smudged down underneath the eye from the outer corner all the way into the tear duct area. Midnight Brown is one of my all time favorite eyeshadows. It's the perfect cool toned brown with really subtle fine silver shimmer running through. You can get a soft sheer wash by using a fluffy blending brush (like the MAC 217) or a more intense application with a flat shader brush. I like to use the flat shader and then blend the edges with the 217 to get rid of the harsh edges. I then went in with Midnight Black eyeshadow and applied it to the outer corner of the eye and a little on the inner corner leaving the center of the lids untouched. I did the same pattern underneath the eye and then blended the black and brown just a bit so that there are no harsh lines. Next I took M.A.C's Coffee eye pencil and applied that into my waterline and smudged it into my top lash line. And to finish off the eyes, I applied Diorshow Blackout mascara which is perfect because it's volumizing and really really black!

To keep the face effortless and light, I used Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua foundation and then applied the Clarins Graphic Expression Face & Blush Powder to my cheeks and slightly up into the temples just to warm up the face. And last, but never least, I used Tom Ford's Pink Dusk lipstick which is the perfect subtle nude pink color.

This is a really bold look, but easy. The less you try to perfect the eye, the more modern (I think) it will look. Great for a night out!

Click through for Product List


Eyes
- Burberry Beauty Sheer Eyeshadow - Midnight Brown No. 21
- Burberry Beauty Sheer Eyeshadow - Midnight Black No. 18
- M.A.C Eye Pencil - Coffee
- Diorshow Black Out Mascara
Face
- Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua
- Clarins Graphic Expression Face & Blush Powder
Lips
- Tom Ford Beauty Lip Color - Pink Dusk


Get a similar look using drugstore products like:

Eyes
- NYX Love in Paris Eyeshadow Palette - A La Mode
- Maybelline Eye Studio Master Drama Eyeliner - Bold Brown
- L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Volume Mascara
Face
- It's really difficult to give a drugstore option for a foundation like this one, but I think something lightweight would be pretty. Maybe the Garnier BB Cream would be a good option.
- Physicians Formula Happy Booster Bronzer
Lips
- Milani Lipstick - Nude Creme 


Individual product images from Nordstrom.com

2 comments :

  1. Love the look (that lipstick colour is perfect)!! But i'm always afraid to put too much dark around my eyes because i feel like a panda, not for the amount of black itself but for the shape of my eyes (round). I find heavy lower lid makeup flattering only on nice long eyes... is it just me??

    http://300daysofengland.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. I know what you mean. I have almond shaped eyes and quite a bit of space on my eyelids so it makes looks like this quite simple. But if you have more rounded eyes, you can just apply the shadow in a winged (sideways V) shape at the outer corners to give the illusion of an elongated eye. Also, just don't go too high above the crease when blending up so that the color is focused on the lids and going outward instead of upward. As for lower lids, you can still get away with a small amount there. I think you need that for a smokey eye. If it really scares you, just use the medium brown shade and don't take it too far down underneath or too far into the inner corner of the eye. You can use a small pencil or angled liner brush so that it doesn't get everywhere! Hope that helps a bit. Good luck :)
      xoxo
      J

      Delete